dinsdag, februari 01, 2005

Geloof op de werkplek

A rich man asked Jesus, 'Good teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?' That question was a great set up for a clear, concise gospel presentation. I can almost hear a disciple whispering in Jesus' ear, 'Take out the tract.' But how did Jesus respond? He posed a question, 'Why do you call me good?' (Mark 10:17-18).

When religious leaders asked Jesus if it was right to pay taxes, Jesus referred to a coin and asked, 'Whose portrait is this?' (Matt. 22:17-20). When the Pharisees asked him, 'Is it lawful to heal on the Sabbath?' Jesus' response was a question: 'If any of you has a sheep and it falls into a pit on the Sabbath, will you not take hold of it and lift it out?' (Matt. 12:9-12).

At times (far too many, I'm afraid), I've answered questions with biblically accurate, logically sound, epistemologically watertight answers, only to see questioners shrug their shoulders. My answers, it seemed, only further confirmed their opinion that Christians are simpletons. So I started answering questions with questions, and have gained far better results."